Rideshare services like Uber and Lyft have completely changed how people travel. Gone are the days where taxis were only available in big cities or around airports. Now, you can always get a ride from your own home, or your favorite local spot in Tampa
, to anywhere else in the area. This convenience, while great for keeping intoxicated drivers off the road and providing options for those who are unable to drive, comes with risks as well
. When you climb into the vehicle of an Uber or Lyft driver, you are putting your safety into their hands. We know that accidents can and do frequently happen on the major roads around Tampa, and rideshare vehicles are no exception.
If your rideshare driver ends up in an accident, what does that mean for you?
Generally speaking, liability in an Uber or Lyft accident will fall upon the at-fault party. That could be the rideshare driver, another driver, a pedestrian, bicyclist or any number of other parties.
What’s different about being in a rideshare crash though is that Uber and Lyft have insurance policies that can kick in to provide compensation if your own insurance coverage or the at-fault driver’s insurance is not enough to cover the cost of your injuries. This seems like great news for you…but just because there’s more potential compensation available doesn’t mean you’re going to get it easily. You need to contact an experienced Uber or Lyft accident lawyer who can help you navigate the claims process.
If you were injured in a Tampa rideshare accident, determining who will provide the insurance payout will depend on a few different factors, including whether you or someone you live with has Personal Injury Protection (PIP) / no-fault insurance benefits
. This is your first, and easiest, starting point for compensation. Even with this specialty coverage though, you can expect insurance companies to dispute your claim. To put yourself in the best position following an accident, remember to:
- Call for medical help: It’s important to seek treatment for any injuries, either at the scene or as soon as possible afterward.
- Call the police: An accident report will be an important part of establishing that an accident occurred and documenting what happened. Often, the police and medical responders are alerted at the same time.
- Take a screenshot of the rideshare app on your phone when you schedule your ride. This can support your claim for compensation by proving that you were in an Uber or Lyft ride at the time of the accident. Don’t forget to include the time stamps!
- Notify both your insurance company and Uber/Lyft: Make sure to let them know that you were a passenger in the rideshare vehicle.
- Contact a rideshare accident attorney: An Uber or Lyft lawyer can assist with filing your claim and manage all contact with the insurance companies to ensure that you are treated fairly.
Brooks Law Group has experience representing victims of rideshare accidents in and around the greater Tampa area
in Central Florida. We fight for YOU, seeking the compensation you need to recover and the justice you deserve following your accident. Don’t get pushed around by insurance companies who refuse to pay, or intimidated by making a claim with a major rideshare corporation. Our team is ready to stand up in your corner and support you throughout your case. Call for your free, no-obligation consultation!
When rideshare accidents happen, Look to Brooks!