Here at Brooks Law Group, we are dedicated to representing family members who have lost a loved one in a motor vehicle accident. We handle wrongful death claims, which compensate the family of a deceased car accident victim for their loss. While safe and conscientious driving can help prevent accidents, sometimes a crash is the result of another driver’s negligence and cannot be avoided. Here are ten of the most common causes of deadly car accidents:
- Driving Under the Influence: When a driver is either drunk or under the influence of drugs, their ability to control their motor vehicle is affected. However, alcohol and illegal drugs are not the only issues. Many prescription medications can have side effects that impair a person’s ability to drive.
- Speeding: High speed not only causes accidents, but it also increases the amount of damage that occurs in the accident. High speed crashes are more likely to cause death and serious injury to the parties involved.
- Weather Conditions: When inclement weather occurs, drivers need to take caution in operating their car. Accidents are more likely to happen when the driver is faced with wind, ice, fog, rain, or other weather events.
- Distracted Driving: Driving while texting or talking on the phone can be a major factor in accidents. However, distractions can also come from loud music, speaking with a passenger in the backseat, eating, or many other distractions that should not be addressed while driving.
- Rollovers: SUVs are particularly susceptible to rollover accidents due to the structure of the vehicle. A rollover can be deadly because the roof of the vehicle can be crushed, leading to severe head and neck injuries.
- Running Lights and Stop Signs: Disobeying traffic signals and signs is a serious driving infraction that can cause deadly accidents with innocent, unsuspecting motorists.
- Head-On Collisions / Wrong Way Driving: Head on collisions are a very dangerous form of car crash. When a vehicle enters a highway in the wrong direction or veers outside of their lane on a two-lane street, the resulting head-on crash can be devastating to the occupants of both vehicles.
- Reckless Driving: Reckless driving can include any behavior from excessive speeds to drag racing to tailgating. When drivers engage in reckless behavior, they put themselves and other motorists at risk.
- Lane Changes / Highway Accidents: Florida is home to many dangerous interstates and divided highways. Changing lanes on a highway without taking necessary precautions can cause serious and deadly car crashes.
- Dangerous Curves / Straying From the Road: The final cause of deadly accidents is straying from the road on curved streets or highways. When a vehicle leaves the road, the car can strike other vehicles, trees, and telephone poles, or land in a ditch or body of water.
We want you to be aware of these accident causes so that you can stay safe on the road. However, if you were injured in an accident or one of your family members was killed in an accident, please call us immediately to discuss filing a claim. We can be reached by phone at: 1-888-WE-MEAN-IT (1-888-936-3264) or email us at: email@example.com.