Where is an Attorney in Tampa Bay for a Lyft and Uber Accident?
If you sustained injuries in an Uber or Lyft accident in Florida, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries and other losses. You need an experienced Florida Uber and Lyft accident lawyer! They can help you pursue your claim against the ridesharing service and the various layers of insurance coverage that may be available.
Brooks Law Group has the dedication and experience you need to successfully seek compensation for your losses arising from an Uber or Lyft accident. Contact us now for a free consultation to discuss your rights and options.
Rideshare Accident Attorney for Lyft and Uber Riders
Ridesharing services such as Uber and Lyft have revolutionized transportation. As of September 2018, Lyft had completed over one billion rides. Uber, with a much larger global footprint, had completed well over 10 billion trips by the beginning of 2019.
Because so many people use ride-sharing services in the Greater Tampa Bay Area, it is inevitable that cars driven for these services will be in car accidents. When these accidents are the driver’s fault, the rideshare company can be held responsible for the damages to both the people in the Uber or Lyft and the people in other cars.
Who Is Liable for an Uber or Lyft Accident in Florida?
Were you injured in an accident that is caused by an Uber or Lyft driver? You may be in a position to claim compensation from the driver and, depending on the circumstances, from Uber or Lyft and its insurance coverage.
It is a different situation if you are a passenger injured in an Uber or Lyft that is involved in an accident caused by another vehicle. In such a case, enforcing liability might only be possible against the responsible driver, rather than against the Uber or Lyft driver or the ridesharing service itself.
When an Uber or Lyft driver is responsible for an accident, the ridesharing service’s liability typically depends on whether the driver was:
- Transporting a passenger
- On the way to pick up a passenger at the time of the accident
- Signed into the ridesharing service mobile application looking for a passenger.
If the Uber or Lyft car accident occurred when any of those three circumstances applied, Uber or Lyft and its insurance coverage may face liability for the accident. This is especially true if the Uber or Lyft driver is found to be at fault for the accident.
Our law firm’s skilled Lyft and Uber accident attorneys can advise you on the legal procedure and help you assess whether or not you have a case to pursue compensation for your injuries.
We have extensive experience representing clients who have been hurt in incidents involving Uber and Lyft. Beyond that, we have a proven track record of success. If you or a loved one has sustained injuries in an accident caused by an Uber or Lyft driver, contact us today to schedule a free consultation. We will review your case and discuss your legal options.
Uber Driver Insurance Coverage
Uber requires that all of its drivers have personal auto insurance coverage in accordance with Florida law. Some rideshare drivers may also carry commercial auto insurance.
Uber and Lyft’s insurance coverage for its drivers provides coverage for various kinds of liability, such as:
- Uninsured motorist coverage
- Collision coverage
- Comprehensive coverage
- Personal injury protection (PIP)
Lyft and Uber insurance coverage is available for:
- Drivers who are
- Picking up
- Looking for passengers
- Passengers in the Uber or Lyft
The insurance coverage may also apply to occupants of other vehicles when the Lyft or Uber driver was at fault for the crash.
Uber and Lyft insurance both provide the following coverage:
- If the driver is logged onto the app but is not in the process of picking up or transporting a passenger, Uber and Lyft provide coverage of:
- $50,000 per person
- $100,000 per accident for bodily injury
- $25,000 per accident for property damage
- If the driver is on the way to pick up or is transporting a passenger, Uber and Lyft provide:
- Up to $1 million in third-party liability coverage (including a passenger of the Uber or Lyft, occupant of another vehicle, bicyclist, or pedestrian)
- $1 million in uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage
- Collision and comprehensive coverage for the driver’s vehicle if his or her personal auto policy has collision coverage
If an Uber or Lyft driver is not logged into the application when an accident occurs, the driver’s personal or commercial auto insurance policy will apply.
Types of Compensation Available After a Rideshare Accident
If you are involved in an accident caused by a rideshare vehicle driver, you may be entitled to several kinds of compensation.
For personal injuries, compensation falls into 2 categories:
- Economic damages
- Non-economic damages
Economic damages include:
- Medical expenses
- Hospital stays
- Doctor’s visits
- Prescription medication
- Durable medical equipment
- Physical or occupational therapy
- and more.
- Lost wages
- Income lost from work missed due to injuries
- as well as the difference in income if injuries prevent you from earning your pre-accident level of income.
Non-economic damages include:
- Pain and suffering – Physical and mental anguish caused by the accident, along with loss of quality of life.
- Loss of consortium/companionship – Spouse and family’s loss of your society, companionship, and services to the marriage and family.
If you are the owner of another vehicle that is damaged in an accident caused by an Uber or Lyft or have some other property damaged in the accident, you may be entitled to claim compensation to repair or replace your vehicle or property.
What to Do If You Are Injured in an Uber or Lyft
If you are involved in an accident that involves an Uber or a Lyft vehicle, there are some steps you can take to protect your legal rights:
- Seek medical attention – Accept emergency medical treatment and transportation if you need it. Even if you believe you have not been injured, you should still follow up with your doctor after the accident. Some injuries may not reveal symptoms for days or weeks but could prove life-threatening without medical treatment. Seeking medical attention will allow you to prove the extent of your injuries and that they were a result of the accident. It also will help you begin to establish the extent of your medical bills.
- Contact the police – It is critical that you report the accident to the police, who will investigate the accident. A police report may provide important information for establishing who was at fault for the accident. It can also include details such as insurance policy information for the vehicles involved.
- Get insurance and witness information – Ask for the insurance information of the Uber or Lyft driver and other drivers involved in the accident. If drivers refuse to provide you with their insurance information, wait for the police to arrive and collect the information. If there are any eyewitnesses to the accident, take down their contact information. That way, you can later obtain their description of the accident, if necessary.
- Take photographs – If you are physically capable of doing so, you should take pictures of the:
- accident scene
- damage to the vehicles in the crash
- your injuries
These photos may help you establish who was at fault for the accident and substantiate your injury claims.
How Can an Uber Accident Lawyer in Florida Help Me?
Were you injured in an Uber or Lyft accident? In that case, an attorney can help you pursue an accident claim for compensation. An Uber and Lyft accident lawyer will have the experience necessary to know what evidence to collect. Such evidence will be key to establishing liability for the accident and proving your injury and damage claims.
An attorney can also help you by building a strong case. They will negotiate with insurance companies and the ride-sharing company to seek compensation for your injuries and other losses. In some cases, reaching an acceptable settlement of your claim might not be possible. Then the rideshare accident lawyer can help you file a lawsuit and argue your case to a judge and jury to pursue a verdict and judgment in your favor.
If you have been injured in an Uber or Lyft accident, contact Brooks Law Group today to schedule a free consultation.