Under Florida premises liability laws, Target may be responsible for slip and fall accidents that occur in its stores if its owners, managers, or other responsible parties fail to maintain their properties or warn visitors of potential dangers. If you were injured in a slip and fall in a Tampa Target store, you may be entitled to compensation for your losses through a slip and fall claim.
Common Causes of Slip and Falls at Targets in Tampa
Target is a big-box store that sells a wide range of products. As a result, there are many ways that a slip and fall accident could occur, such as:
- Spills – Spilled food items, drinks, liquids, and oily or powdery substances can reduce traction and cause dangerous slip and falls.
- Slick floors – If floors are slick from recent mopping or waxing, shoppers are at a greater risk of slip and fall accidents.
- Inclement weather – When the weather outside is rainy or icy, water can accumulate at doorways and along aisles, causing customers to slip and fall.
- Leaks – When pipes or other plumbing components develop leaks, pools of liquid can form and increase the danger of slip and falls for visitors.
- Obstructed pathways – If Target associates allow unloaded or partially unloaded shipments to sit in aisles unattended, shoppers are at risk of tripping and falling.
When Is Target Liable for a Slip and Fall Accident?
To recover fair compensation after a slip and fall accident in Target, a victim must demonstrate that the store or its employees were fully or partially responsible for the accident. You must be able to prove the following:
- A dangerous condition existed on Target’s premises, either inside or outside the store, that created an unreasonable risk of harm.
- Target or Target employees were aware ― or should have been aware ― of the hazardous condition.
- Target or its workers failed to address the danger or adequately warn customers of the hazard.
- A customer or other legal visitor was injured as a direct result of the dangerous condition.
- The customer who suffered harm could not have been reasonably expected to notice or take steps to avoid the dangerous condition.
Strong evidence is necessary to fulfill all of these legal requirements. A Tampa slip and fall lawyer can collect the proof needed to build a strong claim on your behalf.
Steps to Preserve a Premises Liability Claim
If you suspect you have grounds for a premises liability claim against a Tampa Target store, you can protect your right to compensation by:
- Reporting the accident immediately to the manager on duty
- Ensuring Target management makes a written report of the incident and requesting a copy of the report for your records
- Documenting the accident by writing down your recollection of what happened, taking photos of the scene, and asking any witnesses for statements and contact information
- Seeking prompt medical attention for your slip and fall injuries
- Contacting an experienced slip and fall attorney for advice before speaking with the insurance company
How a Slip and Fall Attorney Can Prove Target Was Liable
The premises liability lawyers at Brooks Law Group can support your Florida slip and fall claim by:
- Investigating the scene of the accident to identify and preserve evidence of the dangerous condition
- Interviewing eyewitnesses and Target store associates for more information
- Working with expert witnesses to learn about the causes and effects of the slip and fall accident and its long-term impact on your life
Reviewing Target’s safety and training compliance records to determine whether negligent store maintenance or employee education may have been a contributing factor
Injured in a store? You can learn your legal options for free by speaking with a slip and fall lawyer in Tampa, FL at Brooks Law Group. Call or contact us today for a free initial case review.