Ian left a huge mark on Florida in many ways, and while many of these marks are ugly blemishes of damage and brokenness, one unexpected mark is shining brighter than the rest today. It’s not the sun coming out after the storm.
It’s the American spirit.
Americans believe in caring for our brother, loving our neighbor, and supporting one another. While we all have our moments of disagreement or differences, when all else falls away and the “rubber meets the road” we are all in this together, and that is the overarching theme we’ve seen today as we watch our friends and neighbors around Polk County come together to pull themselves up and move on after the storm.
In the last 48 hours we’ve seen:
- Countless individuals donating water, blankets, pillows, and even air mattresses to local shelters
- Local kids holding “clean up” parties in their neighborhood as they pick up limbs and rake leaves
- A local who sustained no real damage…but was ready and waiting with his own plywood to help his next-door neighbor who lost a door
- Local business owners pushing past their own damage to make sure they can show up on the job and help their clients when they need it most (we see you contractors, roofers, plumbers, restaurant owners, and ALL of you who have opened your doors)
- Thousands of linemen who left their homes and families and traveled right here to Central Florida to restore power
- Those with power opening their doors to friends and neighbors who just needed a hot cup of coffee or a warm shower
Polk County is strong. We’re so proud to be part of this amazing community, and it has encouraged our hearts to see how neighbors are banding together to move on, stronger than before. Our thoughts are with everyone who sustained damage from Hurricane Ian. If our team can help you in any way, please reach out to us. Whether you simply need a local resource to call on, or are seeking assistance with insurance claims and don’t know how or where to begin, we’re here to help. When life throws unexpected events your way, Look to Brooks!