Being involved in a car accident is scary, no matter how minor. Injuries, damages, and even deaths are all effects of vehicle collisions, and they can leave both drivers and passengers traumatized, even if they weren’t physically harmed. In Tampa, hundreds of accidents occur each week, and in each one, drivers are faced with the same question:
“What do I do now?”
In the midst of the trauma and the shock, it can be hard to make the proper judgement calls necessary to protect yourself and others, both physically and legally. That’s why the team at Brooks Law Group has worked to build a list of the 5 most important steps to take immediately following an accident. These have been developed through years of experience working with accident victims in and around the Tampa Bay area, and are what your attorney wants you to know if you find yourself in a collision.
- Call for help. 9-1-1 is the first number you should call following an accident, no matter how minor. Getting emergency services on scene is the top priority. They will assess injuries, if any, and make sure everyone involved receives the proper care.
- Take Pictures. After any and all injuries are taken care of, those who are uninjured and left behind should look over the scene. As the victim, you should take pictures of your vehicle, including close-ups of damage, any related property damage, and pictures of the scene from multiple angles.
- Exchange Information. All involved drivers should exchange insurance information as quickly as possible. This, along with the police report, will be some of the most important information in getting damages covered by the at-fault party and their insurance company.
- Contact Your Own Insurer. Even if the accident isn’t your fault, it’s still a good idea to contact your insurance company, seek their guidance, and let them know what’s going on.
- Contact Your Tampa Car Accident Attorney. That means call Brooks Law Group! We’re ready to help you as you navigate the days, weeks, and months following your accident.
As accident attorneys, we are accustomed to dealing with collisions of all kinds in and around the Tampa area. We work hard to give clients peace of mind from the very first day they put their case in our hands. Our top priority is getting the justice you deserve and the compensation you need to heal and move forward in life. If an accident happens to you, Look to Brooks!