Talcum Powder Cancer Lawyer in Florida
We trust that manufacturers and regulators have carefully reviewed the products we use every day to ensure they’re safe. Unfortunately, this isn’t always the case, especially when it comes to healthcare-related products. Recent evidence has shown that talcum powder products from Johnson & Johnson and other manufacturers are linked to serious illnesses, including cancer.
If you have used products containing talcum powder or applied these products to your children, contact the Florida talcum powder cancer attorneys at Brooks Law Group immediately. You may be entitled to compensation for any harm you have suffered. Our defective products lawyers in Tampa have decades of experience handling personal injury claims and will leverage our knowledge to help you recover fair compensation. Get a free initial consultation today to learn more.
How Does Talcum Powder Cause Cancer?
Learning more about talcum powder can help explain how it potentially causes cancer. Talcum powder is refined from a mineral called talc or talcum. It comes from a type of clay mined across the world, including in the United States, Europe, the Middle East, and the Himalayas.
Companies make talcum powder by grinding quantities of the raw talc mineral. Once it’s in powder form, talc is used in certain cosmetics and as a baby powder, often combined with cornstarch. In addition to its uses in cosmetics and select medical products, talc and its derivatives are used as thickening agents, lubricants, and as an ingredient in paint, ceramics, and some roofing materials.
In recent years, regular use of talcum powder or products containing talcum powder has been linked to health problems, including several forms of cancer. Researchers suspect this is because talcum powder products have been found to contain trace amounts of asbestos, according to reports by Reuters and other organizations.
Asbestos is another mineral. It was used for years as a fire retardant in building materials. But it’s been largely banned worldwide after evidence revealed that ingesting or inhaling asbestos fibers was strongly linked to several kinds of cancer, particularly mesothelioma.
Since talcum powder contains small amounts of asbestos, regular exposure could cause an increased risk of certain types of cancer. In particular, regularly applying talcum powder to the genital area leads to an increased likelihood of ovarian cancer in women. Small talcum powder particles can also be ingested, inhaled, or absorbed through the skin, leading to other illnesses. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is continuing to investigate asbestos contamination in talc-containing products.
Who Can File a Talcum Powder Lawsuit?
A history of using talcum powder does not necessarily make you eligible to file a claim for compensation. However, if you used talcum powder regularly and have now developed certain illnesses, you may be able to file a legal claim. These illnesses include:
- Chronic inflammation of the genital area
- Respiratory diseases, including chronic lung irritation
- Ovarian cancer
To recover any compensation for your injuries after using talcum powder, you must provide evidence linking your illness or injury to your history of exposure to talcum powder or other products containing talc. At Brooks Law Group, our experienced attorneys can review your case to determine if you can file a talcum powder cancer lawsuit.
About Johnson & Johnson Talcum Powder Lawsuits
Many plaintiffs have alleged that Johnson & Johnson, a major manufacturer of talcum powder and similar products, knew their products contained asbestos and hid that information from regulators and the public. This is the basis for a series of lawsuits that have been filed across the country aiming to hold Johnson & Johnson accountable for what they’ve done.
By joining a mass tort against Johnson & Johnson or another talcum powder manufacturer for any injuries you’ve sustained from using talcum powder, you may be able to claim compensation for your medical bills and other losses.
If you suspect that you have a valid talcum powder injury claim, you should speak to a lawyer right away because there’s a limited time window if you wish to bring a lawsuit. A knowledgeable lawyer can investigate and prepare your case if you’re coping with a disease caused by talcum powder use.
Talcum Powder Lawsuit Settlements
There are still many talcum powder lawsuits pending against Johnson & Johnson. Filing a personal injury claim or lawsuit gives victims a chance to recover compensation for their medical bills and other illness-related expenses. You could potentially receive compensation for:
- Medical bills – Treating the effects of talcum powder can be costly, especially if you develop cancer or another life-threatening illness. A successful talcum powder lawsuit could help you account for these expenses.
- Lost wages – A severe illness can keep you from working for an extended period, and you may have to miss time for treatment and recovery. This can put a major dent in your finances, but you can pursue lost wages through a personal injury claim.
- Reduced earning capacity – Depending on the nature of your injuries, you may be left with a long-term or permanent disability from using talcum powder, which can impact your future earning potential. If your ability to make a living has been limited due to your talcum powder injury, you can be compensated for the reduction in your future income.
- Pain and suffering – In addition to the financial costs of illnesses caused by talcum powder exposure, patients often struggle emotionally from physical pain and lost quality or enjoyment of life. While these losses are harder to put a dollar figure on, an accomplished attorney at Brooks Law Group can help estimate your losses for pain and suffering.
Contact a Talcum Powder Cancer Attorney in Florida
The talcum powder cancer lawyers at Brooks Law Group are ready to get to work and fight for fair compensation for your injuries. Get a free initial consultation to learn more about how we can help you file a talcum powder injury claim. Call or contact us today.